Plymouth Monthly Meeting

Location

2150 Butler Pike
19462 Plymouth Meeting , PA
Phone: 610-828-8675
40° 6' 9.5832" N, 75° 16' 45.1596" W

Plymouth Preparative meeting was established in 1710 by Radnor Monthly after having been an indulged meeting from about 1702 and it was continued as a Hicksite meeting at the time of the Great Separation.

The Orthodox members of the meeting set up their own meeting, building a meetinghouse in 1828, a two-story stone building. The Orthodox branch also retained a portion of the burial ground. In 1896, the Orthodox meeting was laid down and, soon after, the property was sold and the meetinghouse was converted int o a private residence, still standing to this day along Butler Pike. The Orthodox burial ground was transferred to the care of Chestnut Hill Monthly.1

When the Gwynedd Monthly (Hicksite) meeting was dissolved in 1936, Plymouth Preparative became a Monthly meeting.

"In February 1867, the meeting-house was destroyed by fire. The Friends met under a stable shed on the meeting-house grounds, until the present brownstone meeting-house was erected in October 1857. Prior to the Civil War, the meeting-house was an important station of the Underground Railroad and many slaves were harbored here while escaping to Canada."1

During the Revolution, the meetinghouse served as a hospital after the Battle of Germantown. At the time of teh Civil War, many well-known abolitionists attended the meeting, including Mrs. Stpehen Foster, Walt Whitman and Lucretia Mott.

A large graveyard lies next to the meetinghouse.