Norristown Monthly Meeting


20 E. Jacoby Street
19401 Norristown , PA
Phone: 610-279-3765
40° 7' 11.1144" N, 75° 20' 25.3248" W

In 1852, an indulged meeting was set up at Norristown by the Hicksite Gwynedd Monthly meeting, and was followed in 1860 by a preparative meeting established at Norristown by Abington Quarterly (Hicksite). In 1936, the original Gwynedd Monthly meeting was dissolved and all of its preparative meetings, including Norristown, were established as Monthly meetings.

Though there is a burial ground next to the meeting house, it was only used briefly and members later utilized the burial grounds of other local Friends meetings.

In 1919 Gwynedd Monthly meeting obtained permission from the court house to remove the bodies from the burial ground and an order to sell the property. The land is now included in the Fort Washington Extension of Fairmount Park.1

More research is needed to determine where the burials were moved.2

Notes and References