Newtown Square Monthly Meeting

Location

120 N. Newtown Street Road
19073 Newtown Sqaure , PA
Phone: 610-525-7150
39° 59' 30.1164" N, 75° 24' 17.5896" W

The meetinghouse now used by the Newtown Square Monthly Meeting was originally the home of the Newtown Preparative meeting, set up in 1706 by Chester Monthly meeting, after having been an Indulged meeting under Radnor Monthly since 1696. About the time that the original Chester Quarter was divided, this meeting was transferred to Goshen Monthly Meeting. The earliest meetings took place in the home of William Lewis. In 1708 a little over an acre of land was donated to the meeting and a meeting house was built and a burial ground plotted. IN 1791 the original meeting hosue was replaced by the current two-story stone building.

At the time of the Separation the Hicksites retained the meetinghouse and its grounds and the Orthodox members were transferred to the Orthodox Concord Monthly meeting and the Orthodox preparative meeting was laid down. The members were then transferred to Willistown Preparative (Orthodox).

In 1939 the meeting became the Newtown Square Monthly Meeting, becoming a United meeting in 1952. The meeting was transferred to Haverford Quarterly in1955. 

Default