Newtown Friends Meeting

Location

219 Court Street
18940 Newtown , PA
Phone: 215-968-1655
40° 13' 32.6388" N, 74° 56' 9.582" W

Even though Newtown had been settled in the late part of the 1600's there was no Quaker meeting in town until around 1815. About that time, under the leadership of Edward Hicks, local Quakers were meeting in the old courthouse, which had been abandoned when the county seat was moved from Newtown to Doylestown. The meeting was first an indulged meeting under Wrightstown and Middletown meetings, but in 1817 it was established as a preparative meeting under Wrightstown. The meeting joined with Makefield Preparative in 1820 to form Makefield Monthly meeting. Unlike many of the other Bucks county meetings, Newtown had very few Orthodox members so the meeting remained Hicksite at the time of the Great Separation.

There is a burial ground adjoining the meetinghouse.