Chestnut Hill Monthly Meeting


20 East Mermaid Lane
19118-3505 Philadelphia , PA 40° 4' 5.664" N, 75° 11' 47.6664" W

For many years, the Chestnut Hill Friends met in the somewhat inconvenient meetinghouse at 100 East Mermaid Lane that had been built in 1931, but as the number of members increased, lack of space prompted them to build a new meetinghouse just down the road from the former location. Opening in 2013, the new meetinghouse incorporates green technology while retaining a simple , traditional design.

A united meeting for worship was established at Chestnut Hill in 1924 by Abington (Orthodox) and Philadelphia Quarterly (Hicksite) meetings and became part of the Chestnut Hill Monthly meeting when it was established in 1933. In 1955 the united meeting became a part of Philadelphia Quarterly.

The picture depicts the 1931 meetinghouse, no longer in use by the meeting. The new meetinghouse property is much larger and is partially surrounded by trees, being built on the site of a former quarry.