Camden Friends Meeting

Location

122 E. Camden-Wyoming Avenue
19934 Camden , DE
Phone: 302-698-3324
39° 6' 52.4772" N, 75° 32' 52.5768" W

A meeting for worship was first organized at Camden in 1795 under Motherkiln Monthly meeting, but it was discontinued later that year. In 1815, an indulged meeting was allowed under Motherkiln, followed by the establishment at Camden of a meeting for worship under Southern Quarterly in 1817. In 1824, Motherkiln Monthly moved to Camden and its preparative meeting became Camden Preparative. At the time of the Great Separation, the meetinghouse was held by the Hicksite branch and its Orthodox members were transferred to Motherkiln Monthly, the Orthodox preparative meeting being discontinued in 1828.

In 1830 the Camden Preparative (Hicksite) meeting became part of Camden Monthly meeting and was finally laid down at some point between 1890 and 1908. The Camden Monthly meeting had been formed in 1830 by the merger of Duck Creek Motnhly and Motherkiln Monthly meetings and was the forerunner of the modern Camden Monthly Meeting.

The meetinghouse was built in 1805. The grounds include a burial ground laying beside the meetinghouse.